Thursday, October 9, 2014

finished quilt and the best gift ever

So Michelle (ilikeorangetoo) and I decided ages ago to do a swap, and planned to do it in person while together at Sew South. It was meant to be something small- a pouch, oven mitts, whatever, but a bunch of stuff happened this year for both of us personally, so it looks like, unbeknownst to the other, we both upped the ante!

I decided to make her a quilt, using my scraps from her favourite fabric line ever, Good Folks by Anna Maria Horner.  I didn't have much, so improvised a design based on my Liberty iPad mini cover I made, and both inspired by this mini quilt I saw on Pinterest.



I used a variety of low volume fabrics for the background, quilted it in swirly loops reminiscent of flight.  I named it "Migration", and even made a groovy label ;)  The back is a silky soft AMH voile, of course!



In return, I too received a quilt.  But not just ANY quilt.  A freaking epic all voile masterpiece that was entirely HAND QUILTED.  Are you kidding me???



I died.  I certainly cried.  I was so overwhelmed by her work and her generosity.  This is the first quilt I have ever had made for me, and it is so, so precious.



It was even touched and admired by The Great One herself!



And it has been getting plenty of use at my home.  Thank you again, Michelle, for this incredible gift.     You must really like me.  ;) xoxox


11 comments:

Michelle said...

two beautiful quilts!

Isisjem said...

Two fabulous quilts to be treasured!

Monica Mondragon said...

Most amazing gift ever!

Carla said...

I'm quite certain I would have blubbered too! It's beautiful

Michele said...

That really is so fabulous!

Poppyprint said...

Both of the quilts are gorgeous and you two are adorable. I love your design and the low volumes really let those AMH scraps shine! Enjoy your cuddling!

Shay said...

Two gorgeous creations. I think you were probably both equally thrilled to give and receive!

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, gorgeous swapsies there, and how fab that her majesty got in on the action too!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, those hand quilted voile quilts are like nothing else!! What an awesome swap, it looks like you both put a lot into it, and its awesome to swap with friends!

Sew Sisters Quilt Shop said...

Love both quilts and how lovely to do a swap!

Also wanted to check if you got my email last week?

Let me know!
Thanks
Carol

Jodi said...

Funny how quilters think so alike. Nice how you gifted each other with such beautifulness!